Ch’ing the woodworker
carved a bell stand so graceful
all were astonished
had a god made it?
how did you achieve such art
questioned the Marquis
My Lord, Ch’ing replied
I’m a simple woodworker
I’m not an artist
I can tell you this...
before I carve a bell stand
I prepare my mind
first, I meditate
after three days, no more thoughts
about praise or blame
after two more days
gone are all thoughts concerning
success or failure
two days after that
body awareness is gone
no more distractions
I enter the woods
then I look at trees...until
the right one appears
seeing the bell stand
inside the tree before me
the real work is done
I just have to start
now merely harmonizing
inner and outer
people think it’s art
concentration is not so
it’s a mind that’s free
Inspired by The Second Book of Tao
July 14, 2022
CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment